Mid-term Legislative Update
We are halfway through the 69th General Assembly. Second Amendment rights have been a huge focus. I have upheld my oath to the Constitution, and I have battled for your Second Amendment rights during this session. I am proud to have voted NO on every gun prohibition bill that has come across the Senate floor. Unfortunately, we are experiencing a huge disadvantage as the minority party in both the House and the Senate.
Actions you can take:
- Watch and share Jon Caldera's new video that shows HB13-1224 is worse than advertised.
- Please let Governor Hickenlooper know you oppose the job killing and gun-grabbing HB13-1224 bill and the other gun bills via his website contact form.
The attack by the Democrats have not been limited to the Second Amendment. There are other dangerous bills being pushed, including:
HB 13-1081Human Sexuality K-12 Education
- This bill will allow comprehensive sex education in public schools across the state. It will discuss non-traditional types of intimate relationships and provide instructional details for youth.
- This program automatically opts-in students which means parents must contact the school to exclude their children from this non-conventional and non-traditional instruction.
- Democrats refused amendments to reverse the auto opt-in option. They also refused amendments to make this compliant with the Center for Disease Control.
- Democrats are pushing for this in-depth education even though it does not align with the Colorado Board of Education’s curriculum. Studies show that that advocating for abstinence works and this is the principle that I will firmly stand behind.
- This bill is scheduled to be discussed by the Senate at 9:00 am on March 22, 2013. The Senate Gallery will be open to the public if you interested in attending.
SB 13-213 Future School Finance Act (a 174-page bill)
- This bill will redistribute taxes from communities that receive a high amount of school funding currently, due to higher property values and median incomes, to be redistributed to areas of the state that do not create an equal amount of tax revenue.
- This bill does not address the bigger problem, PERA reform. Read about it at Colorado Peak Politics
- There is also no fiscal note attached to the bill. It is likely that this will require a significant tax increase to all Colorado residents.
- None of this is tied to improving student achievement outcomes. It has been proven that pouring more money into a broken K-12 system won't fix they system.
- This bill is not yet scheduled; when it gets scheduled, it will be posted on the calendar at www.vickymarble.com
I want you to know that fighting for our God given rights granted by the Colorado and United States Constitution is a battle that Republicans will fight hard to protect. Two of my bills still pending include:
HB 13-1095 Participation in Extracurricular School Activities By Students Enrolled in Nonpublic Home-Based Educational Programs
- Under this bill a school district, a public school, or an interscholastic organization cannot require a student who is enrolled in a nonpublic home-based educational program to enroll in or complete course credits as a condition of participating in an extracurricular activity.
- This bill passed the House with bi-partisan support and will soon be up for debate in Senate. It will be posted on the calendar at www.vickimarble.com when it gets scheduled.
SB 13-140 No federal law concerning Colorado firearms
- This bill preserves your right to bear arms. It invokes the Tenth Amendment in Colorado, and makes a declaration of state supremacy which aligns with the position statement of all 62 Colorado county sheriffs. Further, the proposed bill states that any federal regulation made after January 1, 2013, shall be unenforced for all Colorado residents and anyone within the Colorado state border.
- The hearing for this bill is scheduled to be heard in the Senate State, Veterans, and Military Affairs Committee on April 1, 2013, at 1:30 pm in Senate Committee Room 353.
I am now on Twitter! Please follow me on twitter at www.twitter.com/vickimarble (@vickimarble), and don't forget to like my Facebook page.
If you would like more information please visit our website and monitor Colorado Sentate News for all Senate GOP updates. As your Senator, I will continue to stand strong for the freedom and individual liberties you elected me to uphold.